UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190803  
Subject: system restore won't work Date: 11/9/2007 11:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, all,

Having loads of problems with my work computer running Windows XP Professional. I changed a couple of desktop settings and now cannot get back where I was, with the settings I preferred. I ran System Restore three times, both as a user on our network and by logging in as an administrator. Each time, after a period of time in which it looked as if the process was doing something, I got a message saying simply that System Restore could not restore to the date/time I had chosen. I've chosen every possible date/time that is allowed, and get the same message every time.

Can anyone point to a fix?

Thanks,

Rita
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dtc100 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136527 of 190803
Subject: Re: system restore won't work Date: 11/9/2007 11:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I've chosen every possible date/time that is allowed, and get the same message every time.

Can anyone point to a fix?

If you have tried all the restore points it looks as if the whole cache is corrupt. You could try to manually revert to a restore point using Recovery Console but I don't think it's worth the effort, if you want details of how to do it post back.

Try switching System Restore 'off' and 'on' again, this will remove all SR points, but they are useless anyway.
If that doesn't fix it reinstall System Restore
Start|Run - rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %Windir%\Inf\sr.inf
Cut and paste to preserve syntax
This will remove all SR points and set monitoring to default 'all drives' amend as required.

Back to the desktop setting problems, can you explain what they are.

Martin

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136534 of 190803
Subject: Re: system restore won't work Date: 11/9/2007 2:09 PM
Martin, you said:

Try switching System Restore 'off' and 'on' again, this will remove all SR points, but they are useless anyway.

I did this and I lost the ability to restore to any point in the past. Maybe I misunderstood you when you said that the system restore points were "useless".

If that doesn't fix it reinstall System Restore

I think I'll pass on trying this. I'm a Mac user at home, and I feel pretty secure tinkering with stuff like this on my Mac, but since this isn't my computer, and I don't know what all might cause some conflict, I'll maybe see if our IT guy can do it the next time I see him.

Back to the desktop setting problems, can you explain what they are.

At this point, I'm not sure what I have done and not done. I started out to try to improve the resolution or visibility of the monitor. On a different advice forum, I read that you could get a better screen by increasing the refresh rate. I did that and decided to increase the resolution setting. But, since I wear bifocals, I need everything larger , so I increased the font size and the size of the icons. I think. I'm not sure what came next. Mainly, I just wasn't pleased with the size of everything on the screen.

However, now when I try to increase font or icon size, it messes up the interface of a case management program that we use (a non-commercial program developed for our non-profits). The entire background goes white, and stays that way until I change the font size to normal again.
Who knows what might be causing that, but I guess I'll learn to live with it all until I see the computer guy.

Thanks anyway,

Rita

Author: dtc100 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136563 of 190803
Subject: Re: system restore won't work Date: 11/10/2007 3:24 AM

I did this and I lost the ability to restore to any point in the past. Maybe I misunderstood you when you said that the system restore points were "useless".

Sorry if you misunderstood, you said that all restore points failed, this would mean that you, and the system, can't make any restore points that work ie system restore is useless.
Most likely you can now make and recover to restore points ie system restore is useful.
Can you? If you can't you will have to reinstall system restore as I indicated.

Who knows what might be causing that, but I guess I'll learn to live with it all until I see the computer guy.

Most likely refresh rate/screen resolution.
Probably best to leave it, because if you set them to something the monitor can't handle you can get into a state where you will have no display on boot, you will get a cable is disconnected message. This can only be fixed in safe mode unless you have another monitor.

Martin

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement