Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bs52578c Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 113  
Subject: Re: US T BONDS 102 Date: 2/27/2001 12:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
T-bonds as an investment are fairly steady. If I understand your notes correctly, what she did was buy a T Bond contract at the price of 56, and when the contract price gets to 64 she will sell. If the contract doesn't get to 64, then she won't sell, which means at the due date of the contract, they'll deliver you a T-Bill.

From what I know about commodity investing, it sounds like she just wanted to buy some bonds at a discount before they come due, or make a couple of bucks before it comes due.

Commodities are a rather risky investment method to most people at Fool.com, but the rewards can be astounding. Instead of stocks, you buy and sell contracts instead of stocks. You can make money whether the value of the contract goes up or down.

If you feel the price of the commodity is going to go down, you can take a "Sell" position on a contract and promise to sell the contract at that price... then when the contract value goes down, you can "Buy" the commodity at a lower price to get out of the transaction ... therefore making a profit. You bought for less than you sold.

It sounds like your wife expects the price of the t-Bond to go up to 64... so she bought at 56, planning to make a profit of 8 per contract.

Truthfully, I'd be interested in where she got her advice or indicator. I'm also starting to research commodity investing as a way to do some explosive short-term investing... but Fool.com has nothing on commodities.

Barry
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Deranged Monkey Criticism

RadioShack Afloat on a Sea of Financing
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement