Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Latinus Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57  
Subject: T-C Website Date: 1/22/2009 2:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
There seems to be something badly wrong with the website.
Earlier this month, my log-in was successful.
-
Tonight I had trouble.
First I got "Login Incorrect There was an error with the login information you provided."
And then "The User ID you provided does not match our records. Please try again."
Before I attempted to log-in, there was a message about a new security
question; this indicates that, since was successful log-in, there have
been major changes in the website.
-
It is also possible that my account has been invaded by a skillful hacker.
-
BTW - TMF wants "log-in" to be spelled with a hyphen. I agree.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Mark12547 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54 of 57
Subject: Re: T-C Website Date: 1/22/2009 1:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Yes, I noticed a couple weeks ago when I attempted to login to TIAA-CREF that it came up with the same error, but after that one error, I could log in fine with answering the security question on the same screen as the password.

I haven't had problems since, except that I now have two screens, one for the user-id, the second for the security question and password.

Vanguard also has separate screens for user-id and password, so logging in is a two-step process there, too.

It wouldn't surprise me if more sites separate login credentials to separate screens so the user-id and password never travel again in the same packet to financial institutions.

My credit union still has one screen where both the user-id and password are supplied during the login process, but they also have a cookie they look for and, if not present, you have to click on a link whereby they send you a code that you then have to supply, so again they are looking for information from two separate transmissions.

At least it isn't as bad as TreasuryDirect, where one needs a serial-numbered decoding card and have to supply codes from that card based on coordinates TreasuryDirect asks based on the serial number of the card they show they had mailed you. (I'm almost tempted to key in that card into an encrypted note field in KeePass so I don't have to keep on searching for that card each time I want to visit TreasuryDirect.)

Author: Latinus Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55 of 57
Subject: Re: T-C Website Date: 1/22/2009 6:14 PM
Recommendations: 0
Today, after two long telephone conversations, I managed to log-in.
It seems that the User-ID should be entirely in capital letters and contain at least one numeral.
-
>>At least it isn't as bad as TreasuryDirect, where one needs<<
I agree, that is the worst site. All the negative changes occurred during the Bush administration. They were designed to discourage the purchase of I-Bonds.

Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56 of 57
Subject: Re: T-C Website Date: 1/26/2009 12:15 PM
Recommendations: 1
I have no idea what inspired me to look at this board for the first time in many, many months, but thanks. I would not have known to use caps to log in. I had no problem, otherwise, though I don't remember having a security question in the past (might have done that and forgotten).

I really don't mind T-Direct's security. It's not hard once you get used to it, though it is cumbersome enough I haven't been checking to see if tax forms are ready.

I don't think T-Direct's security is part of the attempt to destroy Savings Bonds, since it also applies to TIPS and Treasury auctions. I do agree that Bush's Treasury has attempted to eliminate I-bonds and EE-bonds as viable options where those with limited means can get competitive returns or put enough away with a very slight tax advantage to make them attractive. I don't know whether the desire to eliminate savings bonds stems from them being such as small part of financing national debt or a deliberate attempt to screw the little guy. With the Bush regime I assume the worst as a default.

I have written Carl Levin (my Senator) with a proposal for reestablishing Savings bonds at market rates and sufficient maximums, as well as to make them available (at these market rates) in retirement plans at no cost. I would urge you to follow suit.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement