Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19021  
Subject: Re: Vermont IS a nice place to retire! Date: 1/12/2012 10:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
t: "Oh, I'd bet a lot of folks here make $30,000-$40,000 easily. Heck, I retired early and my SS alone is over $20K.

Vermonter; "That's a lot less than $174,000 or even $57,000/yr."

---

If you have a couple.....who both worked, SS can easily be $40,000 to $50K per year. If I had worked another 4 years (I had 31 years credit), and took SS at 66, it would be well over $26K per year.....

for 2, that is 52K per year. Add in any pensions....and that could easily be $80,000 to $100,000 a year.

Then add in investment income from 401Ks or IRAs....which could be another 40K/yr.

While that might only be 20% of retirees.....they'd really get whacked in VT. To the tune of $10,000 in state income taxes alone!....then add on real estate taxes.....

i'll give you a break on heating.....mine runs about maybe $1,000 for gas in the winter time for heating season.....and an extra $500 for the electricity to run the furnace and the pool pump which runs on the freeze guard during below 40 deg temps.

In the summer, it's an extra $1500 for A/C bills.

Then again, I probably have a bigger house than most have in VT.....

My BIL is spending the winter up at Hague NY......he's going through lots of oil....the house was built in 1977.....has six inch thick walls, but only single pane glass in 2/3rds the windows. Probably not enough insulation in the attic. it needs an upgrade and they are planning a major renovation in a year or two. NOw, he's going through $1000 of oil a month. Been down below zero there Then again, at $4 a gallon for heating oil delivered...it hurts....

So far NG is 'cheep'......

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement