Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: rfmjbs Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25316  
Subject: T Rowe Price hoops Date: 7/2/2012 10:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So, I finally pinned hubby down to rollover 2 401Ks today, one at T Rowe Price and one at Charles Schwab...Charles Schwab took about 10 minutes to ask 6 identifying information questions on the phone, and they are sending the properly labeled check payable to USAA FBO hubby acct#xxxxxxxxx to us tomorrow, to submit to USAA within 60 days with deposit instructions into his existing traditional IRA. Easy. Fast.

I've done this 4 times before for myself with various 401k companies, and the Charles Schwab experience has always been the norm.

Then there's T Rowe Price.
Does this happen with a lot of brokerage firms, or am I just lucky?

T Rowe Price takes 2 calls. It's going to take a week or two. The first time we call specifically saying we want to do a roll over to another institution, USAA, they send us a form that would only let us cash out his 401K complete with penalties....so we call again, and this time I talk to the agent, who offers to again, send us a check in hubby's name with the penalty/withholding to do an indirect roll over on our own.

After I stop rolling my eyes, I ask some very specific questions. It is finally determined they have no direct roll over path without an act of Congress. You can't do it on the phone, you can't do it online, you can't do it by mail. YOU can't do a direct roll over at all. T Rowe Price requires a request form directly from USAA, signed by hubby, returned to USAA with a copy of his latest statement 1st page, and THEN USAA can send direct rollover instructions to T Rowe Price to transfer the funds on USAA letterhead. Heaven forbid T Rowe just write the check out to USAA FBO Hubby and skip 2 weeks of aggravation, NOOOOO.

And the best part is the phone rep trying to make it sound like it's for my protection. They'll send us a check we can cash anywhere right now with just a call, but they won't send us a check we can deposit into a different IRA...

This just irritated the daylights out of me today...maybe I need decaf?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement