UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tabs101 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23782  
Subject: Re: Week 4- Friedman's Capitalism and Freedom Date: 8/29/2012 3:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
“tabs101,

That in a voluntary trade where both parties are informed, each side walks away better off.

Or at least each side thinks it is better off (otherwise, obviously, they wouldn't do the trade). They might not actually be.”

-----------------------------------------------

Regarding both mutually beneficial transactions, I’ve recently made some purchases off of Craigslist, a couple of bikes for my kids, and these recent experience caused me to reflect on the nature of exchanges.

As I finished one transaction, I was thinking about how the whole exchange was rather awkward. The guy who sold me the bike seemed rather uncomfortable. His awkwardness made me start to question the transaction. But since it was a bike, I could easily check it to make sure it was worth paying for.

Having the ability to return a product or write a letter of complaint to a manager are two features you lose when making an exchange via this website. Ebay’s rating system, to a degree, added some accountability to sellers and buyers. No such thing for Craigslist.

I know there is a concept called information asymmetry, which refers to one party having an information/knowledge advantage in a transaction.

This is often said to characterize the patient/doctor relationship.

I recently read a book on the US health care system and the author (http://www.tactools.org/health-care-turning-point-why-single...) spent some time trying to argue that while consumers are often (almost always?) less knowledgeable than their doctors, they still are sophisticated enough and have enough tools at their avail to make informed decisions. I am not so sure.

I know when a mechanic, especially one I do not know very well, suggests a repair I am quick to delay making a decision. I try to ask people I know about the repair and I often look online for additional information.

If I had to make more health care payments out of pocket, I would have to behave similarly, although I am not sure I would. I understand how detaching the consumer from having to directly pay for health care increases demand for health care, creating a "free good" mentality.

But, at the same time, it seems that the health care market is ripe for market failure due to asymmetrical information.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement