Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HardyWeinberg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15425  
Subject: tacks at the Tour de France Date: 7/15/2012 2:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
30+ punctures from a pile of tacks scattered at the top of the last big climb today, one rider out of the race after injuries from his wipeout.

Last week, the day after the 4th, somebody smashed a bunch of 40 oz beer bottles into both sides of the bike lane I commute in, going N and S. I made it past the N-bound ones going to work, but hit the S-bound ones square on, had my tire severed from bead-to-bead. It was only after I had time to walk back along the smashed bottles in the S-bound lane that I started thinking it might have been deliberate. Grrr...

So I called the municipality to report it and see if they could clean it up, and they told me it was the county's stretch of road. Checked with the county, turns out the road also has a state route designation so it is state DOT that is responsible. DOT did actually clean it up which is gratifying.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: aurelutra2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14929 of 15425
Subject: Re: tacks at the Tour de France Date: 7/15/2012 4:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Our son has told us about not only debris in the road, but having bottles thrown at him. (His bike is his only transportation.)

When I was trying to ride to lose weight - and redistribute it - about 35 years ago, I was deliberately run off the road two mornings. Since that road was my only viable choice, I quit riding.

I not only do not understand this, I have no idea what can be done about it.

A/L

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14930 of 15425
Subject: Re: tacks at the Tour de France Date: 7/16/2012 5:57 PM
I not only do not understand this, I have no idea what can be done about it.

I think that repealing any and every bike helmet law would go some way towards this (in whatever direction, mind)

Come to that, I bet that actually BANNING the use of bike helmets would solve the problem......I'll wager that no-one sprinkled tacks on the road back when no-one wore bike helmets.

Just sayin'...

Vivienne

Author: aurelutra2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14931 of 15425
Subject: Re: tacks at the Tour de France Date: 7/16/2012 8:52 PM
Recommendations: 0
Vivienne -

Bike helmets were not only not mandatory but quite uncommon back when those pickup trucks ran me off the road more than 35 years ago.

A/L

Author: HardyWeinberg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14932 of 15425
Subject: Re: tacks at the Tour de France Date: 7/16/2012 8:54 PM
I think that's just how Jammer has won, people cannot leave him out of threads that don't have anything to do w/ his tirades and so the board continues its death spiral.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14936 of 15425
Subject: Re: tacks at the Tour de France Date: 7/19/2012 9:24 AM
... people cannot leave him out of threads that don't have anything to do w/ his tirades and so the board continues its death spiral.

Boards spiral into a death spiral when no-one bothers to post......and there's nothing wrong with that, if it is what it is

However, when someone takes the time to respond to an even vaguely jammeresque post when no one else seems to have much to say on the topic, it looks to my eyes like something of a life-saver.......and it doesn't prevent anyone else from posting about something a bit more interesting.

Vivienne

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14937 of 15425
Subject: Re: tacks at the Tour de France Date: 7/21/2012 10:45 AM
If you google "deer creek canyon tacks" , you'll get stories about this type of thing from my next of the woods.

When I rode the Katy Trail, there was a huge tree trunk placed across the trail in a place where you wouldn't see it until you were right there.

Gotta wonder about it.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14938 of 15425
Subject: Re: tacks at the Tour de France Date: 7/21/2012 11:12 AM
If you google "deer creek canyon tacks" , you'll get stories about this type of thing from my next of the woods.

If you look hard enough, you'll be able to find any number of scary stories in this vein.

Me, I get scared enough on the road without even reading them so, if you don't mind, I would prefer to read nice reports from your trip that I'm trying very hard indeed to get my husband to look at, TYVM.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14939 of 15425
Subject: Re: tacks at the Tour de France Date: 7/21/2012 11:45 AM
I'll post about that, too in the other thread. The googling was not to pile on. It's a very popular place to ride that I don't for any number of reasons, including the inability to climb that much. I was surprised the first time it happened there.

I can also see the concerns of the people living in the area since there are many group rides there and from what I have seen, a lack of manners on the part of SOME cyclists.

Here's a recent article from the other place I spend my time and my experiences have been similar:

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2012/jul/18/brent-boyer-i...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement