Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Take a look at Form 8606 available from the website. It will answer most of your questions (for an IRA).

A portion of any distribution from the account is taken as a return of your after tax contribution. A portion is taxable income.

The form is filed every year and keeps track of the after tax portion of your IRA, so the taxable component can be recalculated each year you take a distribution.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.