UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 457702  
Subject: taking "customer service" too far Date: 11/22/2012 12:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
Mosied into Loew's yesterday for a phone line tester. Glanced at their selection of jacks and cords. There were two packages of 25' handset cords that were repacks. What stood out was that the cords in the blister packs were obviously used, a lot used. What someone had done was buy two new, clean, cords, then stuck their old, stretched out, dirty cords in the packages and refunded them.

People pulling this scam is routine in retail.

-Someone bought a new hard drive at the OD I worked at. He peeled the labels off of the new drive, stuck them on his old, much smaller, HD, passed off the old drive as the new one and demanded a refund.

-Someone bought an electronic device, I forget what, at OD, then refunded it the next day. After the crook was gone, with the money, the box was opened and inside lay an old Radio Shack answering machine which was used for ballast so the box felt like it contained the original device.

-working at Radio Shack, this was an almost daily routine. People buying the latest device, sticking their old, obsolete device in the new box and refunding it. Buying new walkman headphones, then sticking their old broken headphones in the box and refunding them. People would buy stuff when it was on sale, throw away the receipt, and demand a refund at full price. The boldest crooks walked into the store, took stuff off the shelf, presented it at the counter and demanded a refund.

Who pays for excessively liberal "no receipt/no hassle" refund policies? You and me, the honest customers, by paying higher prices to cover the shrink caused by refunding stolen and used merchandise.
/rant

Steve
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement