Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Tales from the trenches Date: 3/4/2009 7:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 61
It's high time to recount another tale. I haven't done one in a while.

Harold (not his real name) is a retired engineer. I have no idea how his bosses and co-workers put up with him, but his work was probably perfect. He is slow and methodical.

As an example, he writes up, line by line on a pad of notebook paper, everything that may need to go on his tax return. It's in no particular order. Then he fills out my organizer. If he's not sure about where to put something in the organizer, it will show up in multiple places. He separates the cost of eye glasses from the cost of the eye doctor's exam, because they are listed on separate lines in my organizer. Lots of details, it's all there, but only Harold knows how it's organized.

And Harold always comes in with his box. It's a small, portable file box. Nowadays, you see plastic ones in the office supply stores. His is steel. With a lock. That's always locked. Inside this box are Harold's records. He has an unusual filing system. For example, he has a savings account. And every year he gets a 1099 from the bank. So every year, he puts the current 1099 with all of the previous 1099s. The newest one is always at the back. So when I ask for his 1099, he has to dig though the box, find the envelope with the 1099s for that bank account (everything is kept in envelopes) then page through the folded stack to get to the last one, reminiscing about every page as we go. ("The interest was higher in 1992, we were saving up some money to help our son with a down payment.")

Did I mention Harold is slow and methodical?

So I was a little worried when he mentioned that he sold a portion of his mutual fund. He called me in December to ask about that. You see, he had never sold any of this fund. Ever. He first invested in the fund in ... wait for it ... 1957. So I told him that I'd need to know all of his purchases and dividend reinvestments since 1957. Of course, he said that he had all of those records. The funny thing is that I actually believed him.

But since he is thorough and methodical, he also called up the broker and the fund to try to get the back records. And they did a good job giving him something going back to 1971. They apologized that they didn't have records from the transfer agent they used before then. But they did give him the amount of his original 1957 purchase.

So I sat down with Harold to do his taxes today. And one of his first concerns was to take a look at the records for the mutual fund. So what does he pull out of his metal file box? Fifty years worth of individual purchase confirmations. One quarterly reinvestment at a time. In chronological order - oldest on top, of course. And then came 50 years worth of quarterly and annual statements. And finally, the package from the broker.

So I dutifully scanned it all up (thank God for a recently purchased and very fast scanner). And it didn't take too long to punch all of the data into a tool I have to calculate basis in mutual funds. I was able to account for every fractional share, down to the last .001 share!

Perhaps some statistics are in order. His original purchase was for $500. The last purchase was in 1966. He invested a total of just over $1100. That has compounded to be worth over $70k at the end of last year. And judging from the share prices I saw, it was probably close to $150k before the market crashed.

How's that for a testimony to the power of compounding?

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement