Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ibbieta Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35954  
Subject: Re: Splinter Cell (PC) Review Date: 5/5/2003 1:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
TalkHard writes:

The whole shooting out the lights thing was overdone and unrealistic ... it felt like a cheap way of making it through a level.

Worse for me was when I realized towards the end that I could just run past the guards while they shot at me and sounded the alarm. If I ran the right way and made it to the end of that challenge, sometimes by jumping over a ledge or going through a door, there were no real consequences. I would heal myself and be good as new.

Way too linear.

I completely agree. There was only one place in the game that had two possible paths, I think, and it was obvious which one the developer's wanted you to take. (This was breaking into the CIA building. You are supposed to go through the air-duct but you can make it by heading through the lobby. I ended up walking past guards standing in place waiting for me to trigger their movements from the other direction. Funny, but I re-started the level anyway.)

Quicksave. For some types of games, quicksave may be appropriate. This is absolutely not one of them.

I ended up really overusing quicksave, too. If I didn't, what would happen is I would sneak by, knock out a few guards, wait a bit, sneak by another guard or two only to get shot by a guard I didn't see. The next time I would try to go through the level the first or second guard would catch me. Timing is so important that I was frustrated if I had to play through the same scenario again. I'd be off by a fraction of a second and my cover was blown where, on my first try, I had no problems.

My favorite moment in the game was early on and I had to escape from the building to meet my pick-up van. I rush by a few guards and make it to the waiting van, up comes the Mission Finished screen, and then the guards behind me start shooting. As the screen stays up and I'm hearing congratulations on a successful mission I'm shot dead and my character collapses. Then the cut-scene comes up and I'm off to the next mission like nothing happened.

Fun game but quite flawed, too.

--ibbieta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement