Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55849  
Subject: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/10/2012 3:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How do they do it?

We've sometimes eaten shrimp in "nice" restaurants, and found that the shrimp had a slight iodine taste -- which we had thought meant it may be getting a bit "past".

However, we've enjoyed various shrimp dishes in several Chinese restaurants and have NEVER experienced anything but nice, fresh tasting shrimp.

How do they do it? Someone suggested that they may wash the shrimp in milk first. Does anyone know?

We even had some this noon, in fact, and I asked the smiling waiter how they always have such good-tasting shrimp. He just shrugged and smiled, and said "You like shrimp. We make it good for you!" Not much help!

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54605 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/11/2012 7:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
We've sometimes eaten shrimp in "nice" restaurants, and found that the shrimp had a slight iodine taste -- which we had thought meant it may be getting a bit "past".

Axe-u-lee, that iodine taste you sometimes get from wild caught Gulf shrimp is due to their diet and the shrimps age when its caught. It occurs when the shrimp are harvested in the late Fall, mostly. Most of the shrimp for sale in the U.S. now-a-daze are farm raised, instead of wild caught, in large fish farms in Central America or Asia. In some countries, they are fed antibiotics that are banned in the U.S.
;-(

I only buy my shrimp at the seafood stalls in Westwego (See; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5YjR6XDFGI ) during the season. I know that they are fresh and I get them at a great price.
;-)

C.J.V. - don’t eat no imported shrimp, catfish or tilapia, me

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54606 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/11/2012 7:52 AM
don’t eat no imported shrimp, catfish or tilapia, me

Does anyone actually import catfish or tilapia to the US? There must be thousands of catfish farms (channel cats) in the US and tilapia are everywhere. They even use them in striped bass farms as the garbage clean-up fish. It gives the striper farms 2 sources of income.

I can't see how it would be profitable to import those fish since they're so easy to raise.

Oddly, fresh channel cat is difficult to find in Germany. The NordSea stores have catfish sometimes but it's usually a local breed that I'm not that fond of. Strong fishy taste rather then the mild channel cat taste.

Calabogie

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54608 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/11/2012 2:23 PM
Recommendations: 1
“don’t eat no imported shrimp, catfish or tilapia, me”

Does anyone actually import catfish or tilapia to the US?

Yep, I see it all the time at the local supermarkets (See; http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/fish/seafood/seafood-guide/..., http://news.consumerreports.org/money/2009/01/swai.html ) as “basa” or “swai“ & as for tilapia, See; http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_44/b42010882....
;-(

C.J.V. - only buy locally raised (usually Mississippi) catfish and Scottish raised or wild-caught salmon, me

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54609 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/11/2012 2:50 PM
If you really want to know about catfish production in the US, it looks as if almost all of it sold in the US is farm raised. US production has been abt 500MM lb per year, but is falling. Producer gets about $1/lb; processor nets about half the wt, and gets abt $3/lb.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/datafiles/Aquaculture/Production_and...

Imported seafood stats are here--

http://www.ers.usda.gov/datafiles/Aquaculture/Trade/FishShel...

Shrimp is king at close to 950MM lb/yr. No catfish data suggests few imports.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54610 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/11/2012 3:43 PM
Imported seafood stats are here--

http://www.ers.usda.gov/datafiles/Aquaculture/Trade/FishShel......

Shrimp is king at close to 950MM lb/yr. No catfish data suggests few imports.

According to CBS News, in 2009 about 57 percent of catfish sales came from imported sources (See; http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-7255802.html ), Paul. Probably the reason that “catfish” is not listed on the government data files is that it is usually imported as “basa”, “swai” or other names. I have seen it in the local supermarkets as both “basa” and “swai” filets. In Loosiana, seafood that is sold in the supermarkets has to be identified by its country of origin, although many times it is written in print that takes a magnifying glass to read.
;-(

C.J.V.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54611 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/11/2012 9:37 PM
I buy a lot of basa for my Thai cooking - which is Asian catfish (but they are prohibited from marketing it as that).

I always freshen my shrimp by peeling & then soaking it in salt water for 5 minutes and then draining & rinsing well. It helps the flavor & texture.

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54612 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/12/2012 6:45 AM
Yep, I see it all the time at the local supermarkets (See;

Thanks for the links. I'm surprised but I guess since the demand for tilapia has gone up so much the US farmers just can't keep up.

As for catfish, I've been out of the US for a while so maybe this has changed but when I went to the grocery store they had "channel catfish" and "catfish" separately at the fish counter. I always bought "channel catfish" as IMO that is the best eating catfish. A channel cat fillet is usually fairly easy to distinguish from other catfish fillets as well. They also sold whole (gutted) channel cats which makes it almost impossible to fake as channel cats are very easy to distinguish from other catfish.

I've had Asian catfish (lived in Malaysia for 3 years) and I wasn't that impressed. I've also had Asian catfish in eastern Europe (I guess they have easier access to it) and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't as good as channel cat.

I use tilapia every now and then (not nearly as often as channel cat) and it's farm raised here in Germany. Best thing about tilapia is that it takes on the taste of whatever spices you put on it and the texture is just about perfect. Plain it's pretty bland but as a base for your spices and/or sauce it's the perfect fish.

Calabogie

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54613 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/12/2012 3:13 PM
Ancient Chinese secret???

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54614 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/12/2012 8:32 PM
Dunno, but the shrimp are ALWAYS good.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54615 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/12/2012 9:06 PM
Most of the shrimp for sale in the U.S. now-a-daze are farm raised, instead of wild caught, in large fish farms in Central America or Asia. In some countries, they are fed antibiotics that are banned in the U.S.
;-(

You always tell it like it is, and know what you're talking about, C.J. I admire and respect that in your comments, very much!
http://www.sneadsferrynorthcarolina.com/images/SuspiciousShr...

I only buy my shrimp at the seafood stalls in Westwego (See; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5YjR6XDFGI ) during the season. I know that they are fresh and I get them at a great price.
;-)

I'm envious!!

Bob

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54616 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/16/2012 12:42 PM
Best thing about tilapia is that it takes on the taste of whatever spices you put on it and the texture is just about perfect.

You're right about tilapia being tasteless, but I strongly disagree about its texture--ick. Manages to be both mushy and fibrous. I regard it as emergency rations only. And I love fish generally.

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54617 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/17/2012 9:27 AM
You're right about tilapia being tasteless, but I strongly disagree about its texture--ick. Manages to be both mushy and fibrous. I regard it as emergency rations only. And I love fish generally.

That's the best thing about fish, beef has pretty much one type (albeit different cuts vary) as does pork and poultry but fish has as many different textures and tastes as there are fish in the sea/lakes/rivers. ;-)

Calabogie

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54618 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/17/2012 10:35 AM
beef has pretty much one type (albeit different cuts vary)

Not sure I agree with this. For example, skirt steak has a TOTALLY different taste than ribeye and filet mignon has a TOTALLY different texture than chuck steak.

And duck tastes totally different than chicken.

I'm more inclined to agree with you on pork -- it all pretty much tastes the same.

Christina

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54619 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/17/2012 9:39 PM
For example, skirt steak has a TOTALLY different taste than ribeye and filet mignon has a TOTALLY different texture than chuck steak.

Not only that, but the other day I asked my husband to pick up my favorite chopmeat on his way home. That would be 80% lean local pastured beef, which makes phenomenal burgers. With my first bite, I knew it was not 80% lean or even 85% (it was 90) and that it was not grass-fed beef (nope, although it was hormone/antibiotic-free) nor local. Even the hubster and his less finely tuned taste buds could tell it wasn't even in the same ball park. To add insult to injury, it cost just as much :-/

Grass-fed beef...it's what's for dinner. At my house. Once a week or two.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54620 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/17/2012 11:12 PM
That would be 80% lean local pastured beef, which makes phenomenal burgers.

I prefer 75% for burgers, but it's next to impossible to find. They only carry the 3 pound tubes of it at my main grocery now, so if I have a craving for burgers I have to wait until I visit the country butcher where they actually still cut meat in the store.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54621 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/18/2012 6:04 AM
I grew disappointed in the quality of ground meat in the grocery store. People on TMF's BBQ board convinced me that this meat grinder was a good buy - Most of the posters on that board have one. I've not regretted having and using it. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200...

With it, I control the cut of meat that goes in, the amount of fat content (can usually get extra white fat for little, if any, charge) and I can control how coarse or fine the grind. Standard #12/10 cutting plates fit it and are readily available from various sources. I don't think (pretty sure) anyone on the board has experienced a mechanical (or other) problem with it, and grinding your own meat saves some money over buying package ground meat. Plus you know that none of the meat has hit the floor and been thrown back into the grinder, and you don't get a package of ground meat that has a fresh outside layer and is starting to deteriorate, decay or just plain rot on the inside beneath that.

Bob

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54622 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/18/2012 9:57 AM
so if I have a craving for burgers I have to wait until I visit the country butcher where they actually still cut meat in the store

When I have a craving for a burger, I go to one of the restaurants in my neighorbood (that I know serves great burgers) for lunch! I very seldom cook burgers at home because (a) I'm only making one burger and (b) it usually sets off the very-sensitive smoke alarm!

Christina

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54623 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/18/2012 10:15 AM
it usually sets off the very-sensitive smoke alarm!

My smoke alarms have a great feature. You hold down the test button for a few seconds and it turns it off for 15 minutes. Vital when cooking at a high temp in my oven.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54624 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/18/2012 10:55 AM
if I have a craving for burgers I have to wait until I visit the country butcher where they actually still cut meat in the store.

I didn't realize that real butchers are becoming such a rarity. Living in NYC, I guess it's living in a bubble in ways. I have 3 butchers (all Italian!) within a 10-minute walk of my apartment, 1 if I walk east, the other 2 northwest of me and around the corner from each other. And actually, I have 3 specialty food stores--kind of mini- upscale food markets minus the houseware stuff--about a 10-15 minute walk from me, each of which has a butcher shop set-up. The butcher I go to has meat that's primarily pastured, then often grain finished. On Saturday's, there's a small farmers' market about a 15-20 walk from me with a farmer who raises grass-fed organic Angus steers. When we want burgers, that's where I usually go. The best flavor and texture in the world! Not cheap, but boy--worth every penny!!

sheila

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54625 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/18/2012 12:38 PM
75% lean

I haven't seen that for a long time, but it must be luscious eating.

When I lived in NYC, I bought meat that was ground in the store, usually before my eyes, just like Sheila says. While my pan-fried burgers weren;t as good as grilled, they were still delicious and superior to most restaurant burgers (some, I grant, are excellent).

My local Whole Foods in SC grinds beef in the store, and if I drive a ways into the boonies, I can buy the good stuff from a local raiser of grass-fed beef/butcher.

AS for smoke alarms...well, here at home we grill burgers (and most anything else) outside. But when cooking on the RV, smoke alarm beeps are more frequent than in a house or even a small apartment, so the hubster invented the smoke alarm condom...just a hotel shower cap. It works!

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54626 of 55849
Subject: Re: Tasty Shrimp In Chinese Restaurants Date: 10/18/2012 2:03 PM
so the hubster invented the smoke alarm condom...just a hotel shower cap. It works!

I actually have something similar for my smoke alarm which contractors use to cover the alarms when doing work that causes dust, etc.

The only problem is I need to drag over a small ladder to get to the smoke alarm.....it's a real PITA.

Christina

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement