Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SabioUno One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121351  
Subject: tax calculator Date: 4/12/2001 3:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello- I'm preparing to start a new job in the next week. With the new job I have the customary tax forms to fill out. This year (2000) I am due to be refunded about $1000. I bought a house so I know that is part of the reason for the substantial refund. For 2001 I'd like to claim enough exemptions to where I will be refunded or owe as little as possible. Is there any tax calculator that will compute this for both state (MD) and federal, based on income, interest payments, etc. I really hate giving my money to the IRS for them to spend. Thanks in advance.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: chkarnes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50146 of 121351
Subject: Re: tax calculator Date: 4/12/2001 3:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
TurboTax, and probably other tax-preparation software, has a planning section so that you can put in your estimates for income and deductions for this year. That would give you some basis for determining how much you want to be deducted each month. I don't know if their state software would do that for Maryland, though. Maybe others do.

Charlie

Author: SabioUno One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50151 of 121351
Subject: Re: tax calculator Date: 4/12/2001 5:10 PM
The two I have TurboTax and Quicken are pretty rudimentary. I was expecting something that could take the guess work out of it. Where it would ask you how much you are planning to make, whether or not you are planning to participate in a 401(k) and how mucj you intend to contribute. And other factors that will affect your AGI. Then tell you that if you claim only one exemption you will get a $xxxx.xx refund. If you claim N more exemptions you will reduce you refund or possibly owe at EOY.

Author: speedsurfer One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50153 of 121351
Subject: Re: tax calculator Date: 4/12/2001 5:21 PM
Ive used this calculator. It is basic but pretty handy.
http://www.mostchoice.com/General/Tools_Library/Calculators/taxCalc1.cfm

Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50164 of 121351
Subject: Re: tax calculator Date: 4/12/2001 6:07 PM
The free demonstrator on http://www.edcosoft.com/qitc.html will compute your 2001 taxes for all variables and indicate the minimum withholding to avoid a penalty. You need a W-4 to translate that into number of dependents to claim. ed

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50167 of 121351
Subject: Re: tax calculator Date: 4/12/2001 6:37 PM
Use the worksheet on the W-4 to determine the correct number of exemptions to claim for federal withholding. Use MD Form MW-507 for your state withholdings.

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement