Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121261  
Subject: Tax Cap Gains Strategies Date: 12/9/2007 11:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was trying to find the answers to cap gains strategies for end of year tax selling, and through various sites I got a better understanding and then came up with these ideas. I would appreciate comments and feedback to see if I am full of it ;-)

ST gains are taxed at you marginal rate, LT gains at 15%. For this discussion I will assume you make enough so your marginal rate is 25% or higher.

If your situation is:

ST Gain + LT Gain : Offset the ST gain to $0 by taking some short term losses to reduce taxes at your marginal rate. (Avoid cutting into your LT gains with ST losses, but remember, net gains also increase AGI, so reducing total net gains may help reduce possible AMT issues).

ST Loss + LT Gain : Net LT gain taxed at 15%, so it may not be good to take more ST losses. But, take some ST Gains to reduce ST net to $0 so it does not offset the favored LT Gains @15%.

ST Gain + LT loss : Take either more LT losses or ST losses to reduce ST Gains taxed at higher marginal rates.

ST Loss + LT Loss : If losses are less than $3000, you can take more LT losses (or ST losses) to reduce taxes at higher marginal rate.

-------------------------------
Any net loss of more then $3000 gets carried over, so no need to go out of your way to sell and take more than that in one year.

These are simple, basic strategies, I am sure there are lots of longer term complicated ways to plan.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 97143 of 121261
Subject: Re: Tax Cap Gains Strategies Date: 12/9/2007 12:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
These are simple, basic strategies, I am sure there are lots of longer term complicated ways to plan.

Well, one man's simple & basic is another man's "why would I put myself through that to possibly pay more in commissions than I save in taxes plus have myself out of a loser that I see great prospects for at the exact moment when it takes off?"

Since I'm from Kansas I tend to look at things more simply. If I have a paper loser in my portfolio it's because I think it has promise as an investment, not because I'm waiting to harvest a tax benefit. If I had lost faith in the investment (been there, done that) I would have sold it back when that happened. Instead of looking at the $10,000 I invested, I'm better off looking at the $1,000 that I can get out of it to invest someplace more promising.

I will confess to spending a couple of minutes looking at selling a winner and buying it back next year to take advantage of the 0% taxation of LTCG for us paupers in the 15% bracket. I decided that the after-tax-and-commission cash in my pocket wasn't worth the time.

BTW, I'm not ducking your question about outdated FAQ's. I'm not an official Fool on this board, so it's not my place to comment.

Phil

Author: Postageman Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 97144 of 121261
Subject: Re: Tax Cap Gains Strategies Date: 12/9/2007 12:15 PM
If you want to do by yourself you might want to look at

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00001222----000-.html

Good luck

The Postageman

Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 97145 of 121261
Subject: Re: Tax Cap Gains Strategies Date: 12/9/2007 1:14 PM
Recommendations: 2
Well, one man's simple & basic is another man's "why would I put myself through that to possibly pay more in commissions than I save in taxes plus have myself out of a loser that I see great prospects for at the exact moment when it takes off?"

Since I'm from Kansas I tend to look at things more simply. If I have a paper loser in my portfolio it's because I think it has promise as an investment, not because I'm waiting to harvest a tax benefit. If I had lost faith in the investment (been there, done that) I would have sold it back when that happened. Instead of looking at the $10,000 I invested, I'm better off looking at the $1,000 that I can get out of it to invest someplace more promising.

Ah, but let's say I think banks are bottoming out and I could not decide on whether to buy Citi or Bank of America. So, maybe I bought BAC and have a $1000 loss. Now I can sell BAC for $8 commission and buy C and still be in the banks I like, but now I can write off $1000 against my income, so if I am at a 35% rate, then that is $350 dollars I don't need to send the gov. Minus $8 commission, I have $342 saved (but commission increases basis, so I get 35% off that cost too). Also, I might well believe that I can buy BAC back in 31 days and avoid the wash rule. Who am I to say a stock is "about to take off", if I was that smart I would not be sitting on a loss ;-)

I don't buy and sell based on taxes, but at the end of the year, if I have $10,000 in short gains and the gov will take $3500 of that, then I might look at some ST loss positions and consider using those to my advantage.

P.

Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 97215 of 121261
Subject: Re: Tax Cap Gains Strategies Date: 12/16/2007 11:45 AM

If you want to do by yourself you might want to look at

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00001222----000-.html

Good luck

The Postageman

Stampman,

Thanks for your reference to this site that defines what a short term gain or loss is, I guess it was not clear in my posting that I already knew that information. I was presenting some strategies I was contemplating and I was asking for people's opinions and feedback to enhance my knowledge and the knowledge of this board. I thought some people might be doing similar things and would share their experiences and ideas.

P.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement