Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SmartConsumer Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Tax consequences of stock gift Date: 4/7/1998 11:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In an effort to encourage my brother-in-law and his new wife to begin regular investing, I'm planning on giving them a few shares of stock as a wedding present along with information on the DRiP plan. I know he doesn't have to pay taxes on the shares until he sells them (as long as I don't give them more than $10,000 each), but I'm not sure how I account for the stock gift. Does it count the same as a sale and I pay the capital gains? When the company makes the stock transfer do they tell me the current cost for us to use as the cost basis? I've received stock as a gift before but never given it away, so any help with my fairly naive questions would be appreciated :-)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3331 of 121592
Subject: Re: Tax consequences of stock gift Date: 4/8/1998 10:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
[[In an effort to encourage my brother-in-law and his new wife to begin regular investing, I'm planning
on giving them a few shares of stock as a wedding present along with information on the DRiP plan.
I know he doesn't have to pay taxes on the shares until he sells them (as long as I don't give them
more than $10,000 each), but I'm not sure how I account for the stock gift. Does it count the same
as a sale and I pay the capital gains? When the company makes the stock transfer do they tell me
the current cost for us to use as the cost basis? I've received stock as a gift before but never given it
away, so any help with my fairly naive questions would be appreciated :-)]]

Check out my post in the Taxes FAQ area regarding gifts of stock and the tax consequences applicable to that gift.

In short, neither you nor he has a taxable event when the gift is made. And, as you not, if the gift is under $10k, you have no gift tax issues to deal with.

At the date of the transfer, you'll want to be able to provide the donee with both the FMV of the shares AND your basis in the shares, since this information will be important to him when he finally sells the shares.

So check out my post for a more lengthy discussion of the issues.

TMF Taxes
Roy

SPECIAL NOTE: I try to answer as many questions as I can each week, and I generally select those that have not been asked before. If you don't get a detailed answer to your question, it is probably because my time is so limited during tax season, or because it has already been asked and answered in this folder in the past, or because it has been discussed in the Taxes Frequently Asked Questions area. In order to visit the Taxes FAQ area, go to the Fool's School area (http://www.fool.com/school.htm) and check out "Other Features" in the list box, OR you can jump directly to the Taxes FAQ area (http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm). Additionally, if any references were made to the IRS Web Site, you can get there by pointing your web browser to (http://www.irs.ustreas.gov)

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement