UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cwilkens Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76397  
Subject: tax deferred vs. taxed now Date: 3/20/2001 11:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Any thoughts on this issue?

As a grad student, I have several more years of making very little money ahead of me. Therefore,
I feel that I am in probably the lowest tax bracket I will ever be in. Does it then make sense to max
any taxable contributions (ie my ROTH IRA) and not worry about maxing out a tax deferred account?
It simply seems to me that being taxed now in a relatively low tax bracket (ROTH contrib.) must be more
economical than getting taxed on the (hopefully) huge sum of a tax deferred account later when I make
more money.

Can anyone tell me if I am thinking about this right? ... thanks for previous replies...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: thehendrys Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28523 of 76397
Subject: Re: tax deferred vs. taxed now Date: 3/20/2001 11:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Sounds like perfect logic to me too.

Good luck.
the hendrys

Author: jkrou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28527 of 76397
Subject: Re: tax deferred vs. taxed now Date: 3/20/2001 12:48 PM
In general, the longer you have until retirement the better looking the Roth is. In your case, I would say yes to maxing the Roth then moving to the other vehicles.

Jenn

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement