UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BobLangley Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75880  
Subject: Tax exemption on sale of home Date: 8/27/2000 3:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife, to whom I am not legally married, and I own our home jointly. It is worth in excess of $500,000 and we are comtemplating selling it.

My understanding is that a married couple can take an exemption of $500,000 while a single person can take an exemption of $250,000. Can we each take a single person exemption of $250,000 on the same house?

Thanks for your responses.

Bob Langley
Winters, CA
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24388 of 75880
Subject: Re: Tax exemption on sale of home Date: 8/27/2000 5:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Bob, and welcome. You asked:

<<My wife, to whom I am not legally married, and I own our home jointly. It is worth in excess of $500,000 and we are comtemplating selling it.

My understanding is that a married couple can take an exemption of $500,000 while a single person can take an exemption of $250,000. Can we each take a single person exemption of $250,000 on the same house?>>

Yes, as joint owners you each may use your own $250K exclusion on gains when the property is sold assuming you meet the conditions for doing so.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement