Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My auntie (a permanent resident in Hong Kong and foreigner to US) has a brokerage account here at Datek. To give me the power to manage her account, we opened up a joint with her as the primary holder and me the
secondary. To her knowledge, since she is not even a resident of the US, she is only responsible for taxes in Hong Kong and to the HK govt. The question comes in where would this scenario made inconvenience for me
because I would be responsible for her taxes? (meaning the capital gains/losses for this particular joint account) while I am being the "manager" and not the real monetary "owner" of such assets?
I'm a US Citizen myself, and normally only the primary holder of such acct will be taxed, but in this particular case, would I be burdened by her gain?
Also, would I be called for audits coz of this? Anyone here experienced that?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.