Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am currently a college freshman who has begun trading online. Since this is the first time I have traded I am quite confused about how investment taxes apply to me. Also, my brokerage account is my own,
although I am still a dependent under my parents since I am a student. Does this fact affect my financial statement/forms - is tax taken on gains/losses and how much and within what time period? What forms do I
fill out for the government, or do they obtain the information from the brokerage? And when must I file for these forms, and which ones do I need?

Thanks, I REALLY appreciate your help!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.