Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jlubell Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121565  
Subject: Tax-Free Earned Income Date: 9/23/2001 4:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What is the maximum amount of income one can have without needing to pay taxes on the income? (I though I remembered someone saying it was $4400...)

And if I have $2500 inincome and a $3500 cap-gains loss, do I simply indicate on my return that I am carrying forward the entire loss rather than using any of it agaist my income? Or is there something else I need to write?

Thanks again

Justin
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54177 of 121565
Subject: Re: Tax-Free Earned Income Date: 9/23/2001 11:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What is the maximum amount of income one can have without needing to pay taxes on the income? (I though I remembered someone saying it was $4400...)

And if I have $2500 inincome and a $3500 cap-gains loss, do I simply indicate on my return that I am carrying forward the entire loss rather than using any of it agaist my income? Or is there something else I need to write?

There is no simple answer to your question. The maximum amount of income depends on your filing status, whether you can be claimed as a dependent by others, your deductions, whether you have dependents, etc.

The simplest answer is to get a copy of Form 1040 and instructions and start filling it out.

You don't indicate anywhere on your return that you are carrying capital losses forward. The calculations are done on a worksheet in the instructions for Schedule D. You keep the worksheet in your files and use it the following year when you prepare your return.

Ira

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement