Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wizardinvestor Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121341  
Subject: tax free gift (school Ira) Date: 8/30/2001 5:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was looking for a gift to give to a x-girls freind son.
I all way gave him things that would fall by the waste side.
Now that i am not around him so much i do not know things to get him.
still wanting to get things for his b-day and x-mas, i am turning to the school ira.
One thing i was thinking not only does this help him to save for school. The gift can be a write off for me. (is my thinking right?)

Anthor plus is the cap of the Ira is going for $500- To $2500.
So others who want can put in to the Ira also If they know about it.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53719 of 121341
Subject: Re: tax free gift (school Ira) Date: 8/30/2001 5:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
wizardinvestor: "I was looking for a gift to give to a x-girls freind son.

I always gave him things that would fall by the waste side. Now that I am not around him so much I do not know things to get him. Still wanting to get things for his b-day and x-mas, I am turning to the school ira.

One thing I was thinking not only does this help him to save for school. The gift can be a write off for me. (is my thinking right?)"

If this is the son of a former girlfriend (and who is not your son), this is a very generous gift. Your last thought, however, is incorrect. You do not get to write off (deduct) gifts to friends.

Regards, JAFO

Author: wizardinvestor Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53724 of 121341
Subject: Re: tax free gift (school Ira) Date: 8/31/2001 12:08 AM
Are you sure i was sure you could write it off, yet as you would a ira.

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53726 of 121341
Subject: Re: tax free gift (school Ira) Date: 8/31/2001 4:54 AM
Recommendations: 1
Are you sure i was sure you could write it off, yet as you would a ira.

I was sure I'd win the Powerball drawing.

No, Ed IRA contributions are not deductible. You can verify this in IRS Publication 590, which you can download from www.irs.gov.

Phil Marti

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53728 of 121341
Subject: Re: tax free gift (school Ira) Date: 8/31/2001 11:31 AM
wizardinvestor: "Are you sure i was sure you could write it off, yet as you would a ira."

Yes. Enough to say I would willing to buy you a lunch if I am incorrect.

phil, peter, edcosoft, or any of the other regular gurus (no offense intended to any I omitted naming directly), care to weigh in?

Regards, JAFO

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53729 of 121341
Subject: Re: tax free gift (school Ira) Date: 8/31/2001 11:34 AM
JAFO31:

wizardinvestor: <<<<"Are you sure i was sure you could write it off, yet as you would a ira.">>>>

"Yes. Enough to say I would willing to buy you a lunch if I am incorrect.

phil, peter, edcosoft, or any of the other regular gurus (no offense intended to any I omitted naming directly), care to weigh in?"

I should have realized that someone had probably answered already and checked all the posts more carefully.

Thanks Phil!

Regards, JAFO

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement