Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have decided to file my own taxes this year because I don't have my home anymore and have been renting for all of 2000. I am single and have no dependants. My gross income was $31,000

I was calculating the deductions I do have including: Goodwill, church&charity and other miscellaneous deductions. From my calculations, my standard deduction of $4400 is a little more than my itemized deductions. It looks so far that will owe about $1,000.

I am not familiar with many tax laws and don't know if there are any deductions I am entitled to that I am overlooking. I lost $200 on my IRA, made $5 dividend on my stocks and about $500 interest from my money market account.

I just am looking for some advise because I don't really want to pay a tax preparer if I really don't need to, but I want more deductions if I am entitled to them.

Should I just file my form myself with the standard single deduction?

Thanks for your help

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.