Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently joined the Fooldom. Until April '97, I always filed a 1040 EZ (you know what I mean). But things have changed since and need some advice for this year taxes. My scenario is as follows:

1) buying (twice a month) employer stock at 15% discount from 7/97; stock price has been going up 5~7% since.
2) put $5K in to Foolish Four on 12/1/97. Looks like I might break even or have to take a loss.

I don't have any plans to sell any of these stocks this year. For these two investments, do I need to file a Schedule D?

If I have to, how would I calculate capital gains for the employer stock? Do I just take the total money invested from 7/97 to 12/31/97 and subtract it from the present value of the investment to calculate the gains?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.