Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jnahmias Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Tax Implications of Marriage Date: 4/18/2000 4:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I will be getting married next year, and I have a question about the tax implications of this:

I read the excellent article in the FAQ area about the Marriage Tax, and I think that I come out alright since my fiancee will be going to grad school and not earning (substantial) income -- at least for the next 2+ years. My question is are there any other issues that I should be aware of?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34720 of 121585
Subject: Re: Tax Implications of Marriage Date: 4/18/2000 6:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<< I read the excellent article in the FAQ area about the Marriage Tax, and I think that I come out alright since my fiancee will be going to grad school and not earning (substantial) income -- at least for the next 2+ years. My question is are there any other issues that I should be aware of? >>

If you're a male, put the seat down. If you're a female, don't use his razor. That should cover it.

Oh, you meant taxes. Never mind.

If one of you does not have much income, you will be beneficiaries of the marriage bonus, which you never hear about when the politicians are ranting about the marriage penalty. /rant on (When they're not too busy exhibiting their family values by trying to snatch the Cuban kid from his father, that is.) /rant off

Don't get too comfortable about the marriage bonus, because when the student goes to work, you'll probably be victims of the marriage penalty. Be aware of it and plan for it with adjusted withholding, when the time comes.

All best wishes for years of happiness.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement