Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: FoolStreet Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Tax Implications of Selling from an ESPP Date: 7/12/2001 11:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Howdy All -

BW and I are planning on selling some stock we have in an ESPP. We've been participitating for a couple of years. We're planning on doing 2 things:

1) Sell some to pay off CC and Student Loan debt completely (yay!)
2) Transfer shares to a charity

Before I do any of this, I want to make sure I'm maximizing my tax advantages. Would any of you mind talking me through some of this?

First off, the program allows me to buy stock at about 85% of market value. Sometimes, I can buy at less than that, but at least 85% of the value the day I buy it, which is each pay period.

I think what makes this so complicated is the fact that there are tax implications for:

1) income tax (purchase price vs market price the day the stock was purchased) and for

2) capital gains(market price the day the stock was purchased vs actual selling price).

...then there are 1 year holding rules for 1) long term vs short term gains tax rates and 2) ability to write off gains to as a charitable deduction.

Here's what I've done:

-I've created a spreadsheet with all my transactions from late 1998.
-I've included columns for Date, # Shares, purchase price, Closing Price the day I bought my shares, and potential selling price.
-For tax purposes, I've created 3 tax impact columns for each lot: income tax impact, capital gains impact and the sum of the two. I've also created another 3 columns of the same, but per share, not per lot.

What I'm trying to figure out:

-Which shares should I sell to pay off debt?
-Which shares should I gift to charity?

What I think I should do:

I think I should:
-give the shares with the highest income tax impact to charity
-sell the shares with the highest capital gain impact because I should be able to offset capital gains with capital losses. (I was stupid and lost several hundred dollars trying to learn how to buy option calls. Will my theory work?)

(By the way, I noticed a negative correlation between capital gains tax impact and income tax impact, which makes my job easier, right?)

I'm sure there are a lot of things that I haven't included, so please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for all your help.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement