Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Does anyone know if it is a published requirement or a general guideline to clearly identify a stock as "not held for trading". How does one do it? What does one do if they bought the stock 5 years earlier when they treated everything as investments and then recently switched to trader status? With one account how can one use the margin power of the investment stock for the trading activity without jeopardizing the investing stock long term capital gains and possible mark to market?

From the article:((But, a trader who makes investments should clearly designate which stocks are held for trading and which are held for investment. In fact, if a trader makes the Code Section 475 Mark to Market election (that we'll discuss next week), he must clearly identify a stock as "not held for trading" before the close of the day on which it was acquired. When the same stocks are held for both trading and investment, the trader must hold the investment stock in a separate account from the trading account or accounts.))
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.