Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have decided to take a loss on some of my mutual fund positions. I have a question about the loss. I am going to sell a portion of shares from all the shares I hold in a certain fund. The company tells me they will just report the value of the sale to the IRS and that I will report which shares I sold, thus calculating the loss. So if I go in and identify the method I use (ie average price, FIFO, Specific share) and stay consistent will I have a problem? I thought you had to tell the fund company what method you were going to do. What else do I need to know about this?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.