Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: brett5958 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121096  
Subject: Tax loss on stocks Date: 2/9/2009 9:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am thinking of "moving" a couple investments to a Roth IRA. Am I correct that to do so, I must sell in my current account and re-buy in the IRA. If the sale will result in a loss how long must I wait before re-buying in the roth to lock in the tax loss. Also for tax purposes is there a difference between short term loss and long term loss. If so , how long must the stock be held to be long term? Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104392 of 121096
Subject: Re: Tax loss on stocks Date: 2/9/2009 10:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I am thinking of "moving" a couple investments to a Roth IRA. Am I correct that to do so, I must sell in my current account and re-buy in the IRA. If the sale will result in a loss how long must I wait before re-buying in the roth to lock in the tax loss. Also for tax purposes is there a difference between short term loss and long term loss. If so , how long must the stock be held to be long term? Thanks

Yes, you must sell the investment in your taxable account and repurchase it in your Roth. You cannot make contributions to an IRA using anything but money. If your taxable sale is a loss, you must wait more than 30 days before repurchasing in your Roth if you want to claim the loss on your tax return. Finally, there is no tax advantage to allowing a loss to become long-term (held more than one year).

Ira

Author: brett5958 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104394 of 121096
Subject: Re: Tax loss on stocks Date: 2/9/2009 10:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. I am glad I found this board, you guys have been a tremendous help. Sorry I cant contribute anything more than questions

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement