Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: carrie74 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121319  
Subject: tax mess!~need advice for poor old dad! Date: 5/18/2001 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
this is the scenario: mom & dad have been married for over 30 years, they have always filed jointly,but this year, dueto marital discord, mom filed MFS, forcing dad to file MFS. dad filed for an extension MFS.
mom says she itemized(thankfully!)and that her return showed a net profit of about $4000 from her small business, dads income was over 50,000 and he is going to owe a ton of money.
in this situation, i think he could dramatically reduce taxes by filing a joint return. is there any way this could be amended with a 1040x? or did she successfully screw him over? thanks for your help!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51073 of 121319
Subject: Re: tax mess!~need advice for poor old dad! Date: 5/18/2001 4:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You can ammend married filing separately to joint after the due date. It's going from joint to sepately after the due date that you can't do.
You do use Form 1040X.

Author: carrie74 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51081 of 121319
Subject: Re: tax mess!~need advice for poor old dad! Date: 5/18/2001 7:14 PM
wouldn't she have to file an amended return also?
if she refuses to do this(very likely),then is his only option to file MFS also? thanks again for your help!

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51084 of 121319
Subject: Re: tax mess!~need advice for poor old dad! Date: 5/19/2001 2:57 AM
Recommendations: 2
i think he could dramatically reduce taxes by filing a joint return. is there any way this could be amended with a 1040x?

They can file a joint return if they want to. He cannot force her to or file a joint return by himself.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: gailkay One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51106 of 121319
Subject: Re: tax mess!~need advice for poor old dad! Date: 5/20/2001 4:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
I agree with all the responses above.

Here is a suggestion for getting Mom to agree: Have Dad offer to split the tax savings from filing jointly.

Author: SallyK Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51112 of 121319
Subject: Re: tax mess!~need advice for poor old dad! Date: 5/20/2001 11:52 PM
I also agree with the responses. One reason your mother may have filed separately is to protect herself. She may have been trying to "screw him over" or she may have been trying to limit her liability to the taxes owed on her return. Just a thought.

Sally K

Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51124 of 121319
Subject: Re: tax mess!~need advice for poor old dad! Date: 5/21/2001 3:32 PM
Yes, she has to agree to a joint filing. If she won't, then he's stuck with MFS. He has to itemize since she did.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement