Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121596  
Subject: tax on disability pay Date: 3/21/2003 5:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I will be helping someone with taxes next month, who receives SS disability pay. Is this taxable income?
What sort of investments would be taxable?
How much interest needs to be worried about if any was in savings?
If there are IRA's that are not "available yet" because the person is not yet of age, can they be ignored?

I don't know a lot of details yet, but I wanted to put the question out there and will hopefully have more info in a week or a few.

joycets
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64610 of 121596
Subject: Re: tax on disability pay Date: 3/21/2003 6:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I will be helping someone with taxes next month, who receives SS disability pay. Is this taxable income?

Maybe. SS Disability is taxed the same way as SS Retirement benefits. See line 20 of the 1040 and the worksheet that's in the instructions.

What sort of investments would be taxable?

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Your friend should have 1099 reports of those transactions which have to be reconciled on the return.

How much interest needs to be worried about if any was in savings?

Anything over 49 cents needs to be reported.

If there are IRA's that are not "available yet" because the person is not yet of age, can they be ignored?

Activities solely within an IRA have no effect on the return.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement