Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zhaji02 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: tax on gain? Date: 12/29/1998 11:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have one foolish question need to clarify:
The stocks I am holding should not be taxed anything for 1998 (even the value increased a lot), unless I sold them in 1998. Is this right?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: qbzzt One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7751 of 121114
Subject: Re: tax on gain? Date: 12/30/1998 8:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have one foolish question need to clarify:
The stocks I am holding should not be taxed anything for 1998 (even the value increased a lot), unless I sold them in 1998. Is this right?

Almost. The capital gain (the appriciation in stock price) won't be taxed until you sell. On the other hand, dividends are taxed in the year received.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7762 of 121114
Subject: Re: tax on gain? Date: 12/30/1998 3:09 PM
[[I have one foolish question need to clarify:
The stocks I am holding should not be taxed anything for 1998 (even the value
increased a lot), unless I sold them in 1998. Is this right?]]

That's right. One of the beautiful things about holding individual stocks is that YOU control when you get taxed. If you don't sell anything, you pay no taxes. If you hold mutual funds, the funds are required by law to make taxable distributions at least once a year. That means that you'll have taxes to pay on those distributions, even though YOU may not have sold a thing.

Which is one of the many reasons I like individual stock, and I'm very down on mutual funds.

I also talk about this issue in The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide. You might want to check out this book for some basic backround on investing and taxes. It's something that may really benefit you.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. There is still time available to do that tax planning (and tax saving) before the end of the year. So just click on this link (http://www.foolmart.com/market/product.asp?pfid=MF+013+I) to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm and you'll be right at the home page. Pay special attention to the "archives" section. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on http://www.irs.ustreas.gov to go directly there.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement