Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Tax on international windfall gift?

The unusual aspect to this question is I am a permanent resident here in the US
and the gift of around $50,000 is being offered by my parents who
reside in the UK.

As far as my search has gotten me, I understand that If they lived in the US
also they would be the ones who have to pay tax on any gift over $12,000
(per parent per year), and I as the recipient would not be liable for any tax.

Can this be true that uncle sam will let me keep all my gift because it would
originate outside the grasp of the IRS?

Would anyone like to offer their wisdom?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.