Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FNeil Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121177  
Subject: Tax on MLP Date: 2/16/2014 1:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Fairly recently I saw a MF article about depreciating the cost of an MLP. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks,
Fred
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120086 of 121177
Subject: Re: Tax on MLP Date: 2/16/2014 7:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Fairly recently I saw a MF article about depreciating the cost of an MLP. Does anyone know where I can find it?

If you do find such an article, you can safely ignore it. You cannot depreciate the cost of an MLP.

MLPs can be quite complex on your tax return. At a minimum, they will be reported on schedule E page 2 each year. It's also fairly common for them to be reported on Schedule A, Schedule B, Schedule D, and Form 4797. Other forms are possible as well. It all depends on what happens in the MLP each year.

--Peter

Author: FNeil Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120087 of 121177
Subject: Re: Tax on MLP Date: 2/16/2014 8:42 PM
Thanks much. Guess I'd best defer to my accountant!

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120088 of 121177
Subject: Re: Tax on MLP Date: 2/16/2014 9:07 PM
Have you received the K-1 from your MLP? If not, you must receive it before having your taxes prepared.

Donna

Author: SD51555 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120388 of 121177
Subject: Re: Tax on MLP Date: 3/6/2014 6:09 PM
I'm in the tax business, and I don't even try to hold an MLP outside a retirement account. It just seems like a tremendous headache when you start dealing with returns of capital vs. income.

If you have the flexibility, I'd consider stuffing your MLPs into an IRA, or perhaps checking out a mutual fund or ETF that won't generate K-1s.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement