Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I've always prepared my own tax returns. In 2002, I sold a rental property. It was converted from personal to rental property in 1997.

I'm thinking this year's tax return will stretch me beyond my limits in terms of complexity and head banging. I've been asking friends and coworkers for tax preparer recommendations.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the following:

(1) Would it be possible (and less expensive) to hire someone to only prepare the schedules related to the sale of the property? ( I can probably handle the rest)

(2) For this level of complexity, how high do I need to go? a certified tax preparation person? an accountant? a CPA? (I am not familiar with the expertise levels of tax preparation professionals)

Thank you in advance, HR
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.