Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I plan on opening a joint account with my son. I want my spouse to be able to make trades on the account also. I think I just need to fill out a power of attorney for this. That is what Ameritrade told me last year. My spouse and I file a joint income tax return. We have some capital loss carryovers from previous years. If I open a joint account with my son can I claim all the gains or losses on my spouses and my joint income tax returns for this upcoming year. In other words can I have a joint account with my son and have all the trades count towards my wifes and my joint return and not affect my son's return at all? Thanks again for any help, suggestions and advice.
Eddie G
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.