Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: EddieGorniak Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121598  
Subject: Tax question about joint acct. Date: 4/27/2001 6:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I plan on opening a joint account with my son. I want my spouse to be able to make trades on the account also. I think I just need to fill out a power of attorney for this. That is what Ameritrade told me last year. My spouse and I file a joint income tax return. We have some capital loss carryovers from previous years. If I open a joint account with my son can I claim all the gains or losses on my spouses and my joint income tax returns for this upcoming year. In other words can I have a joint account with my son and have all the trades count towards my wifes and my joint return and not affect my son's return at all? Thanks again for any help, suggestions and advice.
Eddie G
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50654 of 121598
Subject: Re: Tax question about joint acct. Date: 4/27/2001 9:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I plan on opening a joint account with my son. I want my spouse to be able to make trades on the account also. I think I just need to fill out a power of attorney for this. That is what Ameritrade told me last year. My spouse and I file a joint income tax return. We have some capital loss carryovers from previous years. If I open a joint account with my son can I claim all the gains or losses on my spouses and my joint income tax returns for this upcoming year. In other words can I have a joint account with my son and have all the trades count towards my wifes and my joint return and not affect my son's return at all?

As long as it's just your (or your wife's) money in the account, there's no problem. You can run into a bookkeeping nightmare if you comingle assets with a non-spousal joint tenant. Just make sure that your SSN is the one on the account.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement