Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Fools,

I have just been given a substantial gift by my brother -- over $100K.

I'm consulting a tax professional next week, but I'm wondering how this will be taxed, when the time comes. added to my income for this year, then taxed? Or will they exclude the first 10-11K, then tax the rest?

Even though I don't have to claim it until next year, is there a way to pay taxes on it NOW, so I don't have to worry about it.

Any feedback most appreciated.

Thanks -- Fool on!

--Sheryl (Sjec)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.