Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hclihn Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Tax questions on pre-IPO stock options Date: 3/29/2000 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dear Sir:

I have some questions regarding the pre-IPO stock options. I tried to read through your related messages, FAQs, and references, but I am just more confused. So if you can give me some answers just focusing on the pre-IPO stock option side, it would be great.

Let me first try to define the basics of the case. It is common to see a stock option package from a pre-IPO startup company structured as: the company awards, for example, 10,000 shares of stocks at 10 cents/share for over a period of 4 years. The employee will be able to vest 1/4 of total stocks after one year and vest 1/36 each month after.

My questions are, using the above example, the following:

Case 1: If the employee terminates his/her employment two years after the option is granted, he/she will be able to vest 1/2 of total shares, i.e., 5000 shares. The employee decided to exercise the stocks. So he/she paid $500 to buy the shares. If at this point, the company had gone through the one round of funding (but not IPO yet), which bumps up the company's valuation. How does this exercising of stock option affect his/her tax? Does he/she have to report any taxable income due to this? How does he/she determine the fair mocket value of the stocks?

Later if the company goes public, how does this affect the tax side?
On the other hand, if the company failed totally, how would that affect the tax side? Can he/she declare it as capital loss?
(assuming he/she didn't file 83b election)

Case 2: If the company allows employees to exercise their stocks any time with filing 83b elections, how does this affect the tax of an emploee, who decided to excise all shares (10,000) 2 months after joining the company (and filed 83b election)? How would the company's stock valuation (through different round od funding and IPO) at different times affect the employee's tax reporting? The stocks vest a portion each year, so how does the employee report his/her tax after 1,2,3,4 years of employment? (assuming that the employee was hired on Jan. 1 to simplify the discussion)

Thanks,
hclihn.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement