Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've looked and haven't seen this question answered anywhere...

Last year I had very little taxable income. So, volia!, my rebate check was quite small. That rebate check was ostensibly to cover the difference between the 15% tax rate on the 2001 tax form, and the 10% tax rate I'm supposed to be paying this year.

Since I made considerably more money this year than last year, I don't want to be paying the 15% rate when everyone else effectively paid 10%. I've looked through my 1040 and instructions, and I can't find anywhere to claim the difference in taxes. The way I see it, I ought to be due a credit equal to 5% of the difference between this year's taxable income and last years (I'll still be in the 10% marginal tax rate this year).

How can I claim this? Can I claim this? Should I just shoot all the d*** politicians who were too "clever" to simply lower the tax rate to 10% like a normal human would?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.