Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have looked around, but can't find answers to my questions. If it's out there, could someone just point me to it?

Q1: I have not contributed to my Roth yet for the 2001 year and have not filed my taxes for the year. Since the Roth is not reported on the taxes, may I get my refund and use these funds as my 2001 contribution (as long as it is still before APR 15)?

Q2: Alternatively, I assume I cannot simply transfer stocks into the Roth, but must instead sell them (at a loss - so I can claim it, right?) and repurchase them inside the IRA. Is this right?

Any & all help would be appreciated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.