Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 11:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Based on what I heard on CBS news the House version does not provide a rebate to people on Social Security, the Senate version does.
Ted
Print the post Back To Top
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12407 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 12:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
That's also what I've read. I believe someone living solely on SS would get nothing but someone with SS and other income would get the rebate in the House version. I favor the Senate version for two reasons. First, it's supposed to be a stimulus. Anyone living solely on SS will spend every dime. Second, even if they didn't pay taxes last year or this year, they probably paid a lot over their lifetime, so it's only fair.

One other thing, which I haven't been able to verify. It appears to me a high school student working 10 hrs/week at minimum wage could qualify for at least $300. He'd probably spend it, but is it fair to give him the rebate and deny his grandfather one?

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12408 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 4:17 PM
<<One other thing, which I haven't been able to verify. It appears to me a high school student working 10 hrs/week at minimum wage could qualify for at least $300. He'd probably spend it, but is it fair to give him the rebate and deny his grandfather one?
>>

The grandfather is probably collecting twelve checks/year. He needs 13?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12409 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 5:01 PM
Based on what I heard on CBS news the House version does not provide a rebate to people on Social Security, the Senate version does.

I won't get a tax rebate under either plan, even though DW and I paid almost $200K in state and federal taxes for 2007. I wonder why we don't get a rebate, given how generously we provide funding for government giveaway programs.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12410 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 5:43 PM
Recommendations: 4
I won't get a tax rebate under either plan, even though DW and I paid almost $200K in state and federal taxes for 2007. I wonder why we don't get a rebate, given how generously we provide funding for government giveaway programs.

------------------

If you paid $200K in taxes you certainly don't need a rebate. You are one of the fortunate in this country. So why do you sound so hateful? Sounds like you have every reason in the world to be both happy and generous with those less fortunate.

AM

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12411 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 6:38 PM
Recommendations: 9
If you paid $200K in taxes you certainly don't need a rebate. You are one of the fortunate in this country. So why do you sound so hateful? Sounds like you have every reason in the world to be both happy and generous with those less fortunate.

Yeah, Res, quit your bellyaching. You should be grateful there are people in charge who think like AM and who know best what you should do with your own money and are willing to take it from you by force in case you have other, less altruistic ideas like investing it or spending it in your local community.

--fleg

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12412 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 6:56 PM
Recommendations: 3
Yeah, Res, quit your bellyaching. You should be grateful there are people in charge who think like AM and who know best what you should do with your own money and are willing to take it from you by force in case you have other, less altruistic ideas like investing it or spending it in your local community.

Yeah, 2007 was an unusual year for many reasons, all of which combined and conspired to produce a ton of taxable income. We usually pay much, much less. I don't understand, though, why we should be penalized for having been productive enough to get screwed out of so much money by our various taxing authorities, all so they can give it away to other folks. The tax rebate isn't supposed to be a welfare program. I don't oppose feeding the hungry or sheltering those without a roof over their heads, at least for long enough for them to do it for themselves. A tax rebate, though, is supposed to be a rebate, so I would think that folks who paid taxes should be the ones to get the rebate. And, by the way, SS withholdings aren't taxes. SS is a retirement plan, don't you know.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12413 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 8:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
"That's also what I've read. I believe someone living solely on SS would get nothing but someone with SS and other income would get the rebate in the House version. "

Duh! Raad your words. You call it a rebate. A rebate is that you get some of YOUR money back. It does not say even if you didn't pay any income taxes, you get 'free' money back. That is not a 'rebate'.

It is a 'gift'. Buying votes.

"I favor the Senate version for two reasons. First, it's supposed to be a stimulus."

It was supposed to be a rebate for those paying income taxes.

It has turned into a redistribution program. Take from the middle class and give to those with less. Typical 'lib' position!

The Senate loves to 'give' things away. They are a bunch of spenders that are running the country into the ground.

" Anyone living solely on SS will spend every dime."

Yes, but how do you tell the difference for folks living on SS, and those who have other income who actually PAY INCOME TAXES and therefore should get a REBATE of those taxes?

Easily..if they filed tax return on 'earnings' then you give them a rebate. If not, no 'free money'.

"Second, even if they didn't pay taxes last year or this year, they probably paid a lot over their lifetime, so it's only fair."

No, they are collecting more in SS than they ever paid. And most on SS have not paid that much....rates for SS collection were a pittance. Only recently were the contribution levels raised.

now you want a 'free gift'. Duh!

" It appears to me a high school student working 10 hrs/week at minimum wage could qualify for at least $300. He'd probably spend it, but is it fair to give him the rebate and deny his grandfather one? "

He likely paid NO income taxes, yet is going to get a 'rebate'?

Nope, it is a gift, no questions about it.

Likely, his parents will have to pay more in taxes, so the 'kid' who makes $3001/yr last year gets a 'rebate'. If the 'kid' had an IRA, he could have socked money away in that, too, tax deferred.

Call it what it really is....a gift from one set of taxpayers to another.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12414 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 8:15 PM
AM: "If you paid $200K in taxes you certainly don't need a rebate. You are one of the fortunate in this country. So why do you sound so hateful? Sounds like you have every reason in the world to be both happy and generous with those less fortunate."

Why? So those with less can go buy more lottery tickets and cigarettes and beer, or run to the Sprawl mart and buy $300 in Chinese imports to help the Chinese economy?

It's not a 'rebate'.

It is a confiscation of some taxpayers money to be given away to lower income people.

You can call it a stimulus package, but it is a 150 billion boondoogle give away program.

Just more of 'the gov't knows what is best for you'. SImply give them your paycheck and they'll spend it for you. The commie model. Nothing less. Everyone lives at the lowest level, except for the party hacks, like John Edwards, Billary, and all the other 'leaders' who wind up with tens of millions of dollars, big mansions, and $300/haircuts....as 'part of the job'.

t.

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12415 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 9:51 PM
Likely, his parents will have to pay more in taxes, so the 'kid' who makes $3001/yr last year gets a 'rebate'.

More likely, it'll be his grandchildren who have to pay more in taxes.
Ted

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12416 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 1/31/2008 11:52 PM
You should be grateful there are people in charge who think like AM and who know best what you should do with your own money and are willing to take it from you by force in case you have other, less altruistic ideas like investing it or spending it in your local community.

Wasn't this dastardly deed the idea of St. George of Bush? I'm surprised that you'd think that he and AngelMay would think alike. Unless, of course, by "people in charge" you imply that you don't think Georgie is one of those "in charge."

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12417 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 12:16 AM
Recommendations: 9
Wasn't this dastardly deed the idea of St. George of Bush? I'm surprised that you'd think that he and AngelMay would think alike. Unless, of course, by "people in charge" you imply that you don't think Georgie is one of those "in charge."

In this case they're thinking alike, or at least acting alike. On Bush's part, I think it's pure politicking rather than the belief that it's the right thing to do--he needs to do this to help the Repubs look like nice guys for the election. It's dishonest because he doesn't believe it and it's exactly what you'd expect from most politicians. On Hillary's and Obama's side, any excuse to redistribute wealth will do, whether it's a slowing economy, a growing economy or an economy that's twiddling its thumbs.

BTW, here is a reprint of Res' original post:
"I won't get a tax rebate under either plan, even though DW and I paid almost $200K in state and federal taxes for 2007. I wonder why we don't get a rebate, given how generously we provide funding for government giveaway programs."

Interesting how AM labeled it as "hateful." Why are you lefties so quick to resort to name-calling when someone disagrees with you?

--fleg

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12418 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 12:37 AM
Interesting how AM labeled it as "hateful." Why are you lefties so quick to resort to name-calling when someone disagrees with you?

AM is not the elected spokesperson for all lefties as you implied. (This is known as Over-generalization)
Ted

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12419 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 12:45 AM

-=-=-=-==
AM is not the elected spokesperson for all lefties as you implied.

true.

but the post did *sound* hateful.

=

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12420 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 8:30 AM
"I won't get a tax rebate under either plan, even though DW and I paid almost $200K in state and federal taxes for 2007. I wonder why we don't get a rebate, given how generously we provide funding for government giveaway programs."

--fleg

I don't believe I called Res names.
I merely pointed out that he seems pretty angry and I wondered why.
If I had enough money that I owed $200K in taxes in any year I could afford to be generous of heart and spirt to those who have so much less.

Res seemed to resent the fact that someone living completely on Social Security might get a little extra and he wouldn't -- especially after he had "provided funding" for government "giveaway programs". Nice way to put it, right? Friendly? Generous? Or?

This seems extremely scrooge-like and grinchy to me. It certainly doesn't paint a picture of someone I would want for a neighbor or a friend. No matter how rich he is. But that's my own personal preference. I'm picky.

All his money won't suffice for a good heart and generosity of spirit towards others who have less.

I said absolutely nothing at all about whether I agree with Bush's plan. YOU have, on your own, read that into my post. YOU will have to deal with your own imagination. I'm certainly not responsible for it. So you have, in fact, no idea whether Res agrees with me or I agree with him or not on this particular subject.

I merely wanted to know why, when he has so much, he seems resentful of others who have so little. A fair observation given the tone of his post.

AM

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12421 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 9:33 AM
fleg: There is absolutely no reason even more $ should be spent on this foolhardy attempt at stimulus, and I am AMAZED at all the bellyaching by high earners - even those who are supposedly "fiscal conservatives". This is not a "rebate" - there is no question of equity - it's a give-away stimulus package.

I am over the cap, and I can tell you it certainly wouldn't affect my spending patterns if I were to be given $600. Nor do I want it. We have a massive deficit and the dollar is tanking. Why is it a good idea to expand this plan to give the $ to everyone just for some illusion of equity.

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12422 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 9:38 AM
<i8>he needs to do this to help the Repubs look like nice guys for the election

So Bush thinks it's important that the Repubs look like nice guys. Wouldn't it be "nice" if they really were nice guys.

No wonder so much of what you Repubs say doesn't make any sense! AM wasn't replying to the original post in this thread, she was replying to ResNullius' post here:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26338777

Hint: If you click on the subject line of a post, you will be taken to the post to which the post in question replies. You've been around a long time and I'm surprised that you don't know that. Perhaps you did, but the ResNullius post didn't fit your agenda.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12423 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 11:21 AM
Recommendations: 8
AM: "If I had enough money that I owed $200K in taxes in any year I could afford to be generous of heart and spirt to those who have so much less."

If you happened to move your 401K to a ROTH IRA, you might get stuck paying that much in taxes. Maybe you only made $30,000. So you had enough money to live on $40K/yr for the rest of your life from your ROTH IRA, but one year you paid $200K in taxes. Or maybe you sold your CA house and had to pay cap gains taxes on it. You are going to invest that money to live on for the rest of your life.

AM just assumes that anyone who made more than $87,500 (the first cap) isn't 'entitled' to get any of THEIR tax money back, that she will lay a guilt trip on them insisting 'they share'. Sorry. I don't feel the guilt trip, and clearly resent the implication that those who work hard have to have their financial wealth 'redistributed' by the gov't.

AM: "Res seemed to resent the fact that someone living completely on Social Security might get a little extra and he wouldn't"

If you call it a 'rebate' - it has to be a rebate - if you haven't paid any taxes, you don't get a rebate. If you go to Walmart and buy a TV that has a $100 rebate, the rest of Walmart customers who did not buy that TV aren't entitled to the $100 rebate.

Another guilt trip - 'they need it'...the 'gov't should provide it'...but that really means that OTHER TAXPAYERS should provide it. Take from those with income and give to those who have no 'income'.

AM: "This seems extremely scrooge-like and grinchy to me."

ANother 'guilt trip' by AM. If it doesn't meet her lib commie definition of 'redistribution of wealth', you are a grinch or a scrooge. Everyone in her world is 'entitled' to 'share' in the wealth of everyone else, even if they elect to sit on their butt, not work, or work at minimum wage job because they dropped out of high school at age 14, had 5 kids on welfare by age 27, and expect that 'society' will support them for life. Or that they live 'at an income level' that does not allow them to buy a BMW or McMansion.

AM: " It certainly doesn't paint a picture of someone I would want for a neighbor or a friend. "

What lib wants a non-lib friend? That is no surprise. THey seem to travel in packs. Crowds bleating 'I"m entitled" and "Give me more federal dollars".......and laying guilt trips on those with more success.

AM: "All his money won't suffice for a good heart and generosity of spirit towards others who have less."

Great..I'm sure AM 'shares' all of what she has. THat does not entitle her to demand a share of what others have.

t.

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12424 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 3:52 PM
Recommendations: 19
AM: "All his money won't suffice for a good heart and generosity of spirit towards others who have less."

I wasn't going to respond to any of this, but I decided otherwise. First, most of the Repubs I know give large amounts of money to charity, while most of the Dems I know simply bitch and moan about how mean spirited Repubs are. Second, and far more important, the less fortunate in this country need a better job, not a handout from the government. Higher taxes means a weaker economy. This has been proven time and again, both here and in Europe. Giving a few hundred dollars to someone who is poor means nothing, nothing at all over the long haul. Increasing the chances for a poor person to get a better job means everything, both now and in the future. The Dems like to enslave people to govenment handouts. The Repubs like to empower people to better themselves. If giving $600 to folks who don't pay taxes really is all that important, then the government should give it to them every month, year after year, which is what I guess the Dems really want to do. Personally, I would rather live next door to someone who works hard and takes care of his friends, rather than live next door to someone who wants to take what I've earned and give it to whomever happens to bitch and moan the loudest.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12425 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 4:44 PM
Recommendations: 5
First, most of the Repubs I know give large amounts of money to charity, while most of the Dems I know simply bitch and moan about how mean spirited Repubs are.
How on earth would you even begin to know this in any meaningful or comprehensive way?

I have never had a conversation with anyone outside my immediate family about how much I give to charity, or who I give to - nor am I about to start doing so. Doing so would just be bragging, and quite crass IMO.

Suffice it to say I am a Democrat, and I give. More than that is not really anyone's concern.

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12426 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 4:56 PM
How on earth would you even begin to know this in any meaningful or comprehensive way?

Actually, it is possible to know this in a meaningful and comprehensive way. But first, I should admit to being overly pissed when I made the initial comment. I know plenty of Dems who are quite generous with their time and money. On the other hand, I've ready many articles in the mainstream media about the giving habits of wealthy Dems and wealthy Repubs. The data shows that folks who identify themselves are Dems tend to give far less to charity than folks who identify themselves as Repubs. In fact, there were several rather interesting reports when Kerry and Gore's charitable contributions made the news, since they had given almost nothing, as compared to Bush who had given a great deal. My point really is that liberals claim the high ground, but they seem to usually inhabit the low ground.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12427 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 5:14 PM
Well I am just SO chastised, I have no idea how I will EVER sleep tonight. How about you Gingko?

Of course, I nearly fell asleep trying to step through all the sh*t that telegraph was putting out. Twisted, he is. And wrong. But I'm sure that won't stop him from slinging it. It never has.

It's rather amazing that so much can be read into a simple statement/question.

Res sounded rather peeved that someone who has little might get something from the government -- which he seems to think HE alone is funding. I found that rather scrooge-like from someone who has so much. And I wondered why he seemed so angry toward people less fortunate.

For the record, I was speaking to Res - not to telegraph. But that has never stopped him yet. He loves to hear the sound of his own keyboard clacking.

Yep. I'm just SO chastised. WhatEVER shall I do?

AM

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12428 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 5:19 PM
Actually, it is possible to know this in a meaningful and comprehensive way. But first, I should admit to being overly pissed when I made the initial comment. I know plenty of Dems who are quite generous with their time and money. On the other hand, I've ready many articles in the mainstream media about the giving habits of wealthy Dems and wealthy Repubs. The data shows that folks who identify themselves are Dems tend to give far less to charity than folks who identify themselves as Repubs. In fact, there were several rather interesting reports when Kerry and Gore's charitable contributions made the news, since they had given almost nothing, as compared to Bush who had given a great deal. My point really is that liberals claim the high ground, but they seem to usually inhabit the low ground.

--------------------

Maybe Republicans lie.
Now THERE's a thought.

Hard to believe you would be so taken in by some kind of "study" in this particular area. It's not something most people divulge. I wouldn't. It's no one else's business. And you can hardly go by Kerry or Gore's contributions as representative of all Democrats or Liberals.

BTW, liberals (LIBERALS) do have the high ground.
I know that just grinds into your <choke> soul like sandpaper.
But it gives me a warm fuzzy.

AM

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12429 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 5:32 PM
Recommendations: 3
ResNullis: On the other hand, I've ready many articles in the mainstream media about the giving habits of wealthy Dems and wealthy Repubs. The data shows that folks who identify themselves are Dems tend to give far less to charity than folks who identify themselves as Repubs. In fact, there were several rather interesting reports when Kerry and Gore's charitable contributions made the news, since they had given almost nothing, as compared to Bush who had given a great deal.

I wonder how much of the Bush's "charity" giving is to their church? I give to no church, but I give to various "not-for-profit charities" which interest me. The Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Los Angeles Symphony, Kitten Rescue, Delta Pet Rescue, Habitat for Humanity, and the ACLU. Oh, and a big chunk to Saint Mary's Academy, a Catholic girls school whence my wife graduated. It is in a poof part of town, and tries to gtive the girls in that area a shot at a better life.

There are a couple of big name liberal charitable givers. People like Bill Gates and Waren Buffet come to mind.

cliff

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12430 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 5:38 PM
Res sounded rather peeved that someone who has little might get something from the government -- which he seems to think HE alone is funding.

I've never though that I alone fund the government. On the other hand, the government (state and fed) has managed to take around 50% of my earnings throughout my adult life. I think this gives me the right to comment on whether I think the government wisely spends what they have taken. My main issue, however, is the fact that what the government is doing by giving away so much money (it doesn't actually have, by the way) is counterproductive to the end result of helping the less fortunate.

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12431 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 5:42 PM
Recommendations: 7
Hard to believe you would be so taken in by some kind of "study" in this particular area.

Funny how liberals don't pay any attention to anything that doesn't fit their predetermined beliefs.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12432 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 6:09 PM
Oh, and a big chunk to Saint Mary's Academy, a Catholic girls school whence my wife graduated. It is in a poof part of town

"poof" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mary%27s_Academy_%28Inglewood%2C_California%29

wonder why i thought it was in Bevery Glen ..

(>:

.... i generally taken un-attributed anecdotals with a grain of salt.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12433 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 8:56 PM
AM:"Yep. I'm just SO chastised. WhatEVER shall I do?"

How about thinking about what the subject of the post was....tax REBATES...not federal grab at middle class taxpayers to provide 'gifts' for those who pay no income taxes.

If you have 150 billion for TAX 'rebate', it should be to those who paid the taxes.

The money will be put to work.

It doesn't have to 'include everyone'.

100 million can just as well spend it as 110 million. The extra 10 million who didn't earn a dime, didn't pay any taxes, didn't pay any SS or Medicare, didn't pay any state income taxes......aren't entitled to the same 'rabates'.

Just understand that, and you will sleep better tonight.

As to the lib donors, just listen to Hillary. Thursday night, she was all 'Then I worked to set up this program (of federal give away money )for this or that group"...and I worked with others to 'fund this program' and 'fund that program' and 'provide benefits for XXX'....nothing but talking about confiscating wealth and redistribute it via the dozens of schemes she has cooked up over the years.

She was the prime mover to STOP the military BRAC (the commission to select and close unnecessary military bases) shutdown of two installations in NY state.

A responsible person? Hardly. Nothing but a free spending, give away con artist....who doesn't understand the meaning of 'balanced budget', who won't cut unnecessary bases (when they are in HER district), etc. Nothing but pork, pork , pork for the Senator.

Nothing but more and more give aways that will kill the economy dead and put 5 to 10 million out of work as employers flee the country under a lib dem administration.

Exxon Mobil paid 39.5 BILLION in income taxes last year. That was at the 41.5% corporate tax rate. Yet, that isn't enough for lib dems. They want even more 'windfall taxes'. More than 41.5%. Soon, Exxon Mobil will join Halliburton and every other oil company that will move overseas to avoid taxation at punative rates. Kiss 50,000 jobs goodbye. And Chevron and Schlumberge and every other energy company will follow suit along with hundreds of others.

For "AM" and the crowd, only when 100% of the revenues are confiscated will they be happy. And they'll find when they do that, they'll have 100% unemployed.

t.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12434 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 9:51 PM
AM:"Yep. I'm just SO chastised. WhatEVER shall I do?"

How about thinking about what the subject of the post was....tax REBATES...not federal grab at middle class taxpayers to provide 'gifts' for those who pay no income taxes.

-----------------

How about if you mind your own business -- just for once?
I was talking to Res, not to you.
I asked one simple question.
All the rest is flotsam that you dreamed up.

Adios.

AM

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12435 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/1/2008 10:30 PM
Recommendations: 8
AM: "I was talking to Res, not to you.
I asked one simple question."

Good, then send him a private message. Don't clutter up the board, unless you expect others to read and reply to your answers or questions.

Easy solution, and you'll sleep better at night conferring with like minded libs. Group think.

t.

Author: CycleGirl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12496 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/7/2008 11:42 PM
AM wrote: If you paid $200K in taxes you certainly don't need a rebate. You are one of the fortunate in this country. So why do you sound so hateful?

AM, perhaps "hateful" wasn't the word you should have chosen. Like Res, I don't enjoy paying the tax bill any more than I enjoy paying the mortgage, but I wouldn't care to be called hateful for expressing displeasure. Do you get my meaning?

CG

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12498 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/8/2008 12:36 AM
Recommendations: 6
I don't enjoy paying the tax bill any more than I enjoy paying the mortgage, but I wouldn't care to be called hateful for expressing displeasure. Do you get my meaning?

maybe it's an old age thing ...

i don't mind paying my mortgage --i figure it's the price i pay for living in a nice house
i don't ming paying the Vet bills -- i figure they're the price i pay for a healthy Cat
i don't mind paying my electric bill --figure it's the price i pay for power for my fridge and TV and computers

don't mind paying my property taxes -- the price i pay for living in a county i like (coincidentally same county i went to schools paid for by property taxes of people long dead)

don't mind paying federal taxes --the price i pay for living in a country that's been mostly good to me.
might not like some of the uses for those taxes, but i live in a 'democracy' that 'elected' a warmonger .. my fellow citizens 'decided' those uses, so i kind of have to live with that.

when i whine about the president and his stupid war, i AM being hateful and don't mind admitting it
were i to complain about the pittance going to care for the casualties of the president's stupid war, i think that would be hateful.
were i to complain about local taxes going to educate Other People's kids, that would be hateful (and ungrateful)

just sayin'

=b

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12499 of 19224
Subject: Re: tax rebates Date: 2/8/2008 1:45 AM
don't mind paying federal taxes --the price i pay for living in a country that's been mostly good to me.
might not like some of the uses for those taxes, but i live in a 'democracy' that 'elected' a warmonger .. my fellow citizens 'decided' those uses, so i kind of have to live with that.

I think you're a bit off-point here. The OP wasn't griping about where his tax money was going. He was griping, if I may be so bold as to do a little mind-reading, about the disproportionate nature of the rebate. With the top percentage of earners making 20% of all income and paying 40% of all taxes, it doesn't seem right that people who pay no tax are getting rebates while those pulling the wagon aren't getting anything.

Whether the money is going to rich farmers, welfare queens or to fulfill Bill Clinton's policy of regime change in Iraq is irrelevant to the argument.

--fleg

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement