Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, there,

I have two questions, which I need your advice. I invested $60K on my account with Datek during last June, and I totally lost $50K by the end of 1999, which are the results of several hundreds stock trading. That means I have realized the loss.

My questions are:
1. how should I fill the tax return for 1999 because the money I lost is really big, I recalled some Website mentioned "if your losses exceed $3000 (or $$1500 if you file married/seperate), you must carry over (but not back) those losses into the year 2000". what's that mean?

2. If during this year (2000), I get some gains, but not exceed the money which I originally invested ($60K), should I pay tax for these gains? My understanding is that before I get all of my original investment ($60K) back, I don't need pay any tax. For
example, by the end of 2000, my account increase from $10K now to , let's say, $45K (but still less $60K), I don't need pay tax for $45K-$10K=$35K gains, is
that correct?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.