Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jh4986 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123149  
Subject: tax returns for minors? Date: 12/16/2006 10:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a 13 year old and a 10 year old. I opened an UGMA account for each of them when they were born. Both have 2 mutual funds invested in and they have appreciated over the years. As my 13 year old's account approaching 6 figure, I noticed that the dividends, distribution, and interests that I have been included in my own tax return will likely be around $5000 to $6000 for her account. I am paying roughly $1500 tax for that judging my effective tax rate was 28% last year.

Can I begin to file separate tax return for my 13 year old, or even my 10 year old? This would be their only source of income this year. I would assume that I could save some tax by doing that.

Any advice?

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Skyworks Mid-Quarter Review
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.