Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Tax season war story #2 Date: 2/22/2004 12:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 23
Well, here's this week's horrors from the front lines. This one is a bit of a rant.

Why do folks think a professional's time and knowledge is theirs to use for free? I had two people this week who were unhappy with their refunds and wanted to get a second opinion.

I spend 30 - 45 minutes of my time gathering your information, asking some questions, and putting the data into my tax program. I compare things to last year, looking for anything that might have been missed, and for the changes that made this year different from last year.

I try to say in every different way that I can that your refund is going to be different when you earn 50% more income, but have 25% LESS withheld.

I try to listen with compassion when you tell me that your lout of a husband doesn't help support you or your children. But that still doesn't make you a head of household on your tax return. You are the one that won't divorce him AND let him move back in with you. I know that you were H of H last year when he was living with his drinking buddies all year. But you changed things this year, and that changes your tax return.

Your changes are not my fault. I give you a bill for my services, but you refuse to pay because you aren't happy with the result. Now you'll have to go through the same stuff with another preparer. Perhaps you'll remember what lies to tell them to get the result you want. But there are only so many ways to add up 3 W-2's and a pile of rent receipts. I simply can't add more withholding on to your W-2 to get you a bigger refund.

--Peter <== needing some sleep to improve his outlook
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement