UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59653  
Subject: Tax software Date: 2/19/2007 11:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I've been using Turbo Tax the past 4 yrs or so.

I keep hearing about this thing called "Tax Act". It's too late this year but since Tax Act is free (allegedly) I'd like to know if anybody here uses it and what you think.

Is it any good? Easy/difficult? REALLY free? If you used to use Turbo TAx how would you compare it to that? My tax situation is not complicated but that depends on how low they set the bar. Schedule D cap gains is as bad as it gets. No mortgages, dependents, medical expenses, IRAs, Railroad pensions, or farmer/fisherman stuff
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2503 of 59653
Subject: Re: Tax software Date: 2/20/2007 4:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I keep hearing about this thing called "Tax Act". It's too late this year but since Tax Act is free (allegedly) I'd like to know if anybody here uses it and what you think.

I've used it for years. AFAIK the basic version, which will prepare the return you described, is free. There's a learning curve, of course, but all tax software works on basically the same concepts, so it's not too bad.

Their website is www.taxact.com.

Phil

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2522 of 59653
Subject: Re: Tax software Date: 2/20/2007 9:58 AM

Is it any good? Easy/difficult? REALLY free? If you used to use Turbo TAx how would you compare it to that? My tax situation is not complicated but that depends on how low they set the bar. Schedule D cap gains is as bad as it gets. No mortgages, dependents, medical expenses, IRAs, Railroad pensions, or farmer/fisherman stuff

I don't like using online versions of software. If you want to import the previous year's return using the desktop version, you need to purchase the Deluxe version of the software.

IF

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2537 of 59653
Subject: Re: Tax software Date: 2/20/2007 11:07 AM
I don't like using online versions of software. If you want to import the previous year's return using the desktop version, you need to purchase the Deluxe version of the software.

IF

AH HA! I knew it! Yes my biggest hang up with it has been it's online orientation. To own it and I suppose get the relevent State version I would likely have to pay something. Ticked me off when Turbot Tax made me PAY to e-file! Well, thank you both for your assessments.

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2545 of 59653
Subject: Re: Tax software Date: 2/20/2007 11:39 AM
AH HA! I knew it! Yes my biggest hang up with it has been it's online orientation. To own it and I suppose get the relevent State version I would likely have to pay something. Ticked me off when Turbot Tax made me PAY to e-file! Well, thank you both for your assessments.

The desktop version is still cheaper than TurboTax and it included free federal efile. Personally, I'm still using TurboTax because I'm familiar with the program.

IF

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement