Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: edspencer Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120829  
Subject: Tax worries Date: 6/22/2001 1:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am due to recieve a large settlement. I became permantly disabled from my last employer (UPRR). I am wondering what will my tax be on the amount recieved? My taxable income for the last two years has been less than 20k. Thanks for your info.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: taxprof Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51996 of 120829
Subject: Re: Tax worries Date: 6/22/2001 1:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I hate to do this to you ... but the answer is ... it depends. (My students love this answer) If the settlement is for an injury or illness, not taxable (section 104). Otherwise, probably taxable. The attorney who is getting the award for you should be able to tell you how much of it is taxable. If not, than that atty is not doing the job right.

TaxProf

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement