Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am starting a business in January and am gathering all the equipment, reference material office eqip etc. My brother upgraded my computer (hardware and software)which I paid him a total of approximately 634.00. He bought and did all the work. Therefore, I gave him a check for the above total and he gave me a reciept for the work printed out on his computer. However, he does not an actual business and does this strictly on the side. Can I claim this on my income tax using this reciept even though it was not bought from an actual business entity or do I need each individual reciept for each specific part from the manufactor or vendor.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.