Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A quick question on my first year itemizing taxes.


My mother gifted me a car upon graduation in 2003.

It was stolen Dec. 26th, 2006.

I received insurance reimbursement for the Dec. 2006 NADA car value in Feb. 2007, which is a reasonable estimate of FMV of the car at the time of the theft.

Going through Turbotax, I'm prompted to enter the cost of the car, and any insurance reimbursement. Four questions:

1) If the reimbursement had multiple components, including FMV of car, cost of title/plates, sales tax reimbursement, car rental reimbursement, and comprehensive deductible, if the reported reimbursement the total payment, or just the car value component?

2) If the car was gifted to me, does this make the cost $0, or the FMV of the car at the time of gifting?

3) If $0, after my insurance reimbursement, does this mean that I have a taxable insurance gain that I need to report as income per IRS Form 4864? That seems a little crazy since I paid already-taxed income into an insurance premium to cover such a loss...

4) If the theft was in 2006, but the reimbursement was in 2007, what year should this be reported, if neccessary at all, on my taxes?

Thanks in advance!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.