Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Call me confused .. . . if I have held cash in a money market for say, 5 years, I have paid interest (dividends?) every year, even while acquiring more shares with each disbursement. Now if i sell the shares and take a check for the total, do I report the sale the same as any stock mutual fund on Sch D--sales price ($1 x 5000 shares) minus purchase price ($1 x 4000 shares)=total gain ($1000). If so, is that because my money market is held in a brokerage account, but if it was held in a bank would I avoid having a Sch D capital gain? Or?. . . as I said, Confused.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.