Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am looking for advise on the tax treatment of exercise of TARP equity warrants of a bank.

These were issued during the financial crisis have certain anti-dilution provision, wherein the strike price and number of shares per warrant adjust if the banks paid dividends above a threshold. The warrants expire in Oct 2018. The warrants trade on the market and I purchased them about 3 years ago.

The investor relations department of the bank said that the exercise has to be cashless. The exercise price will be paid for by selling some shares and I will receive the remaining shares plus cash in lieu of fractional shares. I expect this creates a taxable event, but not sure if it is ordinary income or STCG or LTCG.

Can someone explain how the tax calculation will be done using the following example?:

100 Warrant purchased 7/1/2015 for $1500 ($15/sh).
Adjusted strike price $32.
Stock price on exercise date $60.
Each warrant has a right to 1.01 shares (i.e. 100 warrants give a right to purchase 101 shares at an exercise price of $3200).

If I just sell the warrants, instead of exercising, I know I will owe LTCG. If the exercise creates ordinary income or STCG I may be better off selling the warrants than exercising them.

Thanks for your expertise and assistance.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement